Specialty Program Application Process
The following guidelines apply to allow TCS Specialty Programs:
A. Application Process
1. Applications for enrollment to all specialty programs must be submitted by 3:00 p.m. on the last school day in January.
1.1. Student applicants must reside within Tuscaloosa City School zones.
1.2. Students not currently enrolled in a Tuscaloosa City School must provide proof of residency at the time of acceptance to a specialty program.
1.3. Eligibility for enrollment is dependent on the number of student vacancies and current enrollment per grade or discipline in specialty schools.
2. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
3. Application forms will be available on the website and automated communication will be made to all eligible families. Hard copies of the application will be available at the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education and at each school offering specialty programs.
1. Bus transportation will be offered to transportation-eligible students. This is to be accomplished in accordance with state regulations.
C. Appeals Process
1. The following procedures will be followed in requesting an appeal of notification:
1.1. Appeals must be requested in writing to the Office of Curriculum and Instruction.
1.2. The appeal must be received no later than the first school day in May.
1.3. The Office of Curriculum and Instruction will review the appeal and provide a written response within two weeks of the time that the appeal is received.
2. Following the first appeal in 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 above, a written request for review may be made to the Superintendent.
2.1 Appeals must be requested in writing to the Office of the Superintendent.
2.2 The appeal must be received no later than two weeks following the written response from 1.3 above.
2.3 The Superintendent will provide a written response to the parent or guardian.
Approved Dec. 6, 2016