Facilities Usage Information
Use of School Facilities by Community Groups & Agencies
The local Board of Education is vested with title, care and custody of all school district buildings and other property with power to control the same in the manner they think will best serve the interests of the school system. The Tuscaloosa City Board of Education advocates cooperative use of district facilities and grounds by appropriate community groups, agencies or organizations, and the use will be permitted if there is neither infringement nor interference with the conduct and best interests of the school system. More specifically, it is the Board’s intention to grant use of its facilities under the following provisions:
- Promulgating any theory or doctrine subversive to the laws of the United States.
- Any activity that may be injurious to the building, grounds or equipment.
- Any purpose in conflict with school district activities.
- Commercial advertising.
- Fund-raising in conflict with school district activities.
- Activities which are discriminatory.
- Smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco is prohibited in all district owned buildings, except as part of classroom instruction or theatrical production.
- Possession or use of alcohol/drugs (substance abuse) is prohibited at all times on any property or in any buildings owned by the Board of Education and at all school sponsored functions pursuant to Board Policies and applicable law.
- Eating, drinking, etc., unless specifically granted and noted on the facility use permit, which has been issued, is prohibited.
- Gatherings that incite other to disorder.
- Organizations or meetings, which are abusive of or discriminate against other groups or individuals by reason of race, creed, color, sex or natural origin.
- No school facility, building or grounds will be used for unlawful purposes.
- Gambling, games of chance, raffles and lotteries as prohibited by law are not permitted.
- School facilities shall not be used for parties or celebrations, which are essentially private in nature. This exclusion includes birthdays, anniversaries and similar parties.
- No ticket selling for any other event or the sale of merchandise or food is permitted without written approval on the permit.
- No group that limits membership in or attendance at its activities on a basis of race, creed, color, sex or natural origin shall be allowed to use the school buildings or grounds.
- Sunday use is discouraged and will only be permitted under special circumstances.
Request for Use
- The Board is charged by law with the responsibility of school facilities; it must reserve the final right to deny the use of school facilities when the Board deems it necessary in the public interest.
- Application and approval must be obtained through the principal or the superintendent.
- The user of the facility will pay financial costs for use of a facility: Equipment, Custodial personnel, Security, Administrative personnel
- In addition, applicant/user agrees to pay the school district for any damage to the facility or other school property caused by any person attending or activity conducted during the course of applicant’s use of the facility.
- A Tuscaloosa City Board of Education employee must be at the site.
- A printed program outline of the event’s activities is to be made available to the Board.
- Regular school activities will have priority for all space. All applications will be processed according to date of receipt of the application.
- The Board and its authorized representatives shall have full and free access to the premises at all times.
- Fees will be charged according to an established schedule. These fees will include service costs and/or rental charges.
Restrictions and Limitations
- School facilities may not be used on a permanent basis. It is anticipated that use of school facilities are for short, limited periods of time, usually no more than a day or two by the same organization, per year.
- No member of applicant’s/user group will receive any financial profit from and activity. Any and all profits derived from the activity will be used solely for cultural, educational, civic, charitable or community purposes.
- Contracting organization shall be responsible for furnishing the police protection and paying this service directly to each policeman employed.
- Applicant must provide a certificate of insurance with minimum limits in the amount of $500,000 general liability or combined limits of $250,000/$500,000 Bodily Injury & Property Damage. The Tuscaloosa City Board of Education shall be named an additional insured on each policy of insurance. The certificate of insurance must be provided at the time the permit application is submitted. All applicants shall also sign an Indemnification/Save Harmless/Release Agreement in favor of the Board prior to issuance of the facilities use permit.
1. All permits are subject to immediate cancellation if it is discovered that information given on an application is misrepresented. If the use of the facility is discovered to be contrary to any Board policy, including this policy, the permit is subject to immediate cancellation.
2. Any group or organization using a public school facility is responsible for any damage above normal wear and tear and is expected to:
- Make necessary arrangements for a representative of the applying group to be present, with the permit, during the time the facility is used. This representative is to make himself known and present the permit to school personnel for verification.
- The representative is to be responsible for the use of the facility.
- The representative is to assure, that:
- Exit doors are free from obstruction in the area being used.
- Exit lights are turned on.
- Locations of extinguishers are known.
- Fire, police, Board policy and administrative rule and regulations are observe
3. The Tuscaloosa City School District is not legally empowered as a rule to make its facilities available to churches or religious groups for religious services or observances, due to the doctrine of church/state separation. Any such request must be reviewed under these circumstances. If any such request is made under urgency of emergency special need conditions, this is a factor, which could be weighted by the School District.
Release, Indemnification, and Hold Harmless Agreement
The applicant/user/permit holder shall and does release and hold harmless the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education, its member, agents, officers, superintendent, principals, teachers and employees from and against any and all claims arising out of, or in connection with, the applicant/user/permit holder’s use of the Premises or incurred during, or as a result of, the applicant/user/permit holder’s use of the Premises. The applicant/user/permit holder shall and does indemnify and hold harmless the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education, its members, agents, officers, superintendent, principals, teachers and employees (Indemnities) from any claims made, and from any judgement rendered, including legal expenses incurred in defending any action brought against Indemnities, and from all claims, actions or causes of action for personal injury and/or property damage arising out of, or as a result of, applicant/user/permit holder’s use of Premises.
- A security deposit in the amount of $500.00 per use of facility must be delivered to the Business Administrator and placed in an escrow account prior to activating the facility use permit for any permits issued for use of school facilities.
- Any costs incurred for repair of damage to real or personal property as a consequence of use by the group will be deducted from the security deposit by the group. In the event the cost incurred for repair of damage exceeds the amount of the security deposit, payment for such additional costs shall be made by the group within 90 days of receipt of the bill for such damage.
1. Custodial services shall be charged in accordance with the schedule of rates prepared by the Business Administrator and approved by the Board of Education at it’s annual meeting to be effective on that calendar year.
On Sundays, the double time rate per hours will apply. Organizations utilizing school facilities will leave the facility in the same condition they find it when they enter the building. Any additional costs for technical assistance such as video taping, recording, etc. will be billed to the organization and must be paid within 90 days of the date of the bill.
2. Security must be hired, at the applicant/user’s expense for group activities.
The school is responsible for collecting ALL FEES and obtaining the certificate of insurance and sending a copy of it to the office of the Executive Director of Facilities. All fees will go to the school.