Beyond the Numbers
The Tuscaloosa City Schools provides instruction to more than 10,000 Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade students.
In order to achieve our mission, we have adopted a set of beliefs which guide our decision-making for students across the district:
- We believe it is critical to maintain a climate of two-way communication and trust with stakeholders
- We believe we must foster a systemwide culture of innovation
- We believe we must maintain an inclusive environment and high expectations
- We believe every student should thrive in our system
- We believe we must continually improve academic achievement and enrichment through quality instruction for all students
- We believe every Tuscaloosa City Schools employee is an asset in ensuring the success of every student
- We believe we must hold ourselves accountable for the success of the Tuscaloosa City Schools and its students.
Great things are happening in each of our schools, but there is more work to be done. Our plan creates a culture of high expectations. Our students deserve nothing less.
TCS is committed to hiring and retaining the best educators to work with our students. More than 68% of our educators have advanced degrees, industry certification in their area, and/or an advanced professional certificate such as National Board Certification.
TCS offers an expansive learning environment for students starting at Pre-Kindergarten, where we have consistently been a leader in serving the needs of our community’s four-year-olds. By developing strong readers, we open the doors to more opportunities for our students. During a student’s time in our system, he or she will have additional opportunities for arts education and technical classes. Additionally, all high school students can begin taking college classes and have the chance to earn college credit before graduation.
Going Beyond Academics
We know that learning doesn’t happen in a vacuum. That’s why we go beyond what is required to provide students with services to remove barriers to their success in school. Through unique partnerships and grants, we are able to offer meals at no cost (available at select schools), on-site mental health services to minimize missed class time, and a wide range of proven programs designed to ensure students stay on track to graduate.
Pathways for Success
The TCS vision calls for us to be innovative. We are working to raise the bar for expanding the definition of learning for our students. Using feedback from parents and educational experts, we are designing programs to meet that call. We are committed to encouraging and enhancing summer learning—at an affordable weekly rate, increasing the number of students who are involved in their schools through activities and clubs, and transforming learning through the use of technology in the classroom—and at home!
- 10,651 Students
- Elementary: 11
- K-8: 1
- Middle: 4
- High: 3
- Specialty: 2
- $127.5m Operating Budget
- $59.5m Capital Budget
- $10.7m Debt Service Budget