Beyond the Numbers
Woodland Forrest Elementary School had a lot to celebrate in 2019, taking home District awards for Alabama Teacher of the Year, Special Education Principal, Counselor and Social Worker of the Year and PTLA Outstanding Project grant recipient. We saw huge gains in early literacy scores (up 25%) while reducing discipline referrals (-15%) and chronic absenteeism (-16%). Our students won a top prize in Tuscaloosa Can! and put on a show of original artwork at the Jones Gallery. These awards for instruction, student work, parental involvement, and administrative support are true indicators of the current “Climate” in “The Forest”, and illustrate our commitment to providing a holistic learning environment for our students through a STEM-centric curriculum and a leadership-based culture.
- Began the STEM certification process in 2019
- Leaders in technology integration
- Expanded partnership with University of Alabama Science Department
- 14 non-tenured teachers that are currently undergoing professional development specifically aligned to WFES mission and vision
- Newly formed PTA working hard to increase opportunities for family engagement
2019 Report Card Grade