This web page is intended to provide TCS employees with up-to-date information on our transition from iNOW (and related tools) to PowerSchool's Student Information System. All information is subject to change!
FEBRUARY 2020 TEACHER TRAINING UPDATE
Since first learning about the coming PowerSchool transition, there have been some changes to the planned resources for teachers. Those changes have necessitated changes in our district training plan. Here is the updated training plan.
Each school must complete the district form by March 12, 2020! Contact Elizabeth Hancock for details.
Each school MUST select teachers to be their PowerSchool Training Team. These teachers must attend a FULL day of training in summer 2020 and will lead turnaround training for their faculties in August 2020. The number of seats assigned to each school varies from school to school, based in part on school size. The session is called PowerTeacher Pro. Participating teachers will be provided a stipend for the summer training. Due to class size caps, teachers must attend on their assigned day.
Each school MUST ALSO select one teacher to be their Schoology Lead Teacher. Schoology is the learning management system provided with PowerSchool. All TCS teachers will use it to provide information for families, much like a web page, and for other online tools. These teachers must attend a FULL day of training on July 16, 2020. These teachers will lead turnaround training for their faculties in August 2020 and will be provided a stipend for the summer training. It is strongly recommended that the Schoology Lead Teacher also be a part of the PowerSchool Training Team, but it is not necessary.
PowerTeacher Pro Training Dates
- Group 1 (BHS, NHS, CHS, TCTA, NMS, WMS, EMS) 7/13/2020 8-4 at the Central Office
- Group 2 (AES, OES, CES, MLK, RQ, SKY, UP) 7/14/2020 8-4 at the Central Office
- Group 3 (TASPA K-5, TASPA 6-8, S/SP, SVE, WF, TMSE, TMSM, VES) 7/15/2020 8-4 at the Central Office
Schoology Training Date
- 7/16/2020 8-4 at the Central Office, 1 teacher per school from all schools.
All scheduling for the 2020-2021 school year must be complete by June 4, 2020. After that date there will be a blackout period for about 6 weeks. During that time we will only be able to view our Student Information System. Changes will not be allowed during the blackout.
Due to PowerSchool's recent purchase of the learning management system (LMS) Schoology, this will be the LMS provided to all Alabama school districts, rather than Unified Classroom as initially planned.
- Schoology is a full learning management system (LMS) with features like assignments, rubrics, discussions, and assessments.
- Schoology is connected with PowerSchool SIS such that grades recorded in Schoology will automatically sync over to the SIS.
- Schoology will be the TCS learning management system starting in August 2020.
- TCS currently uses Canvas for our LMS. We will continue to provide access to Canvas content in the 2020-2021 school year to support the transition to Schoology.
TCS is providing professional development for all impacted users in role-based groups.
- PowerSchool SIS for Counselors (1.5 day training)
- ONE Counselor from EACH school 3/2/2020 8-3 AND 3/3/2020 8-11 at the Central Office. (Note: This session is limited to one counselor per school. No exceptions.)
- PowerSchool SIS for School Office Staff (1.5 day training)
- ALL School Secretaries and Registrars 3/3/2020 12-3 AND 3/4/2020 8-3 at the Central Office.
- PowerSchool SIS for Principals and Assistant Principals (1.5 day training)
- Group 1 6/8/2020 8-3 AND 6/9/2020 8-11 at the Central Office. Principals & Assistant Principals from BHS, NHS, CHS, TCTA, S/SP, EMS, NMS, TMSM, WMS, & TASPA (1 for MS).
- Group 2 6/9/2020 12-3 AND 6/10/2020 8-3 at the Central Office. Principals & Assistant Principals from CES, OES, MLK, UP, RQ, VES, AES, WF, SKY, SVE, TMSE, TASPA (1 for ES).
PowerSchool SIS for Central Office and Transportation Office Personnel who currently use iNOW (Half-day training) (all sessions are the same)
- Session 1: 4/20/2020 1:00 - 4:00 at the Central Office Computer Lab
- Session 2: 4/23/2020 8:30 - 11:30 at the Central Office Computer Lab
- Session 3: 5/6/2020 1:00 - 4:00 at the Central Office Computer Lab
- Session 4: 5/11/2020 1:00 - 4:00 at the Central Office Computer Lab
- Session 5: 6/18/2020 8:30 - 11:30 at the Central Office Computer Lab
- Session 6: 6/23/2020 1:00 - 4:00 at the Central Office Computer Lab
- PowerTeacher Pro for Training Teams. Select teachers from every school in summer 2020 - SEE UPDATED INFORMATION ABOVE
- All teachers in August 2020
- This training will be led by the PowerSchool Teacher Training Teams and the Schoology Lead Teacher at their home schools.
- Training August 7, 2020 in the afternoon (3 hours) at each school
- Required Set-Up Work and Check-Off August 8, 2020 in the afternoon (2 hours) at each school. Checklist to be provided. Dismissed upon completion of checklist.
ALSDE is moving all Alabama school districts from iNOW to PowerSchool Student Information System (PS-SIS) in the fall of 2020. This change involves other resources. Here is a summary of the key platforms involved:
- PowerSchool Student Information System (SIS)
- Replaces iNOW in fall 2020
- Primarily used for documenting grades, attendance, discipline, and demographics
- PowerSchool Unified Talent (UT)
- Replaced Chalkable PD in fall 2019
- Primarily used for documenting professional learning opportunities and participation
- New portal launched in early October 2019 and is at https://alsde.truenorthlogic.com/ia/empari/login.
- PowerSchool Special Programs (SP)
- Replaces SETS in fall 2020
- Primarily used for documenting special education learning plans. May be used for other learning plans such as 504 and RTI.
- PowerSchool PowerTeacher Pro (PTP)
- This will be used by teachers to access the SIS to report attendance, document grades, access demographic data, produce reports, etc.
- Related components that impact a small number of users include SIS Scheduler, Analytics, and Enterprise Reporting.