Learn more about our school
Central Elementary provides instruction to more than 350 pre-K through 5th grade students. In order to achieve our mission, we have adopted five key principles which guide our decisionmaking for students, staff and parents:
• We believe it is critical to maintain a 95% attendance rate.
• We believe in placing an emphasis on a high standard of character.
• We believe in encouraging our students, staff and parents to be leaders.
• We believe we must show a high level of discipline.
• We believe it is critical to focus on academic achievement with high-impact instruction.
Focus on Literacy
Central Elementary has made reading its top priority. Teachers use a laser focus and data to guide instruction. The district purchased $50,000 in new student-friendly books. CES is taking full advantage of the MyON Reading database purchased by the district. Club MyOn was created to give students an opportunity to read before and after school using school computers. We are making sure that every student is attending the 21st Century After School Program to ensure that the early literacy skills are addressed.
We S.O.A.R. everyday! S- stands for Service, O- stands for Optimistic, A stands for Ambitious, and R stands for Respect. The last Friday in each month, S.O.A.R. Leaders will be awarded for excellent character, good attendance, and high achievements.
Central Elementary has created partnerships with The University of Alabama, First United Methodist Church, St. Paul Baptist Church, Stillman College, BBVA Bank, and Community Readers to enhance the S.O.A.R. model. The partnership includes readers and tutors. Please remember, 30 minutes of reading and math skills practice nightly will help towards our goal of 80% of our champions meeting or exceeding their grade level expectations!
Central Elementary partenered with Thomas Rib Shack, Tuscaloosa Police Department, as well as, the other schools in the Western Cluster to celebrate the Annual Falcon Family Fun Day. The event is always highlighted by WTUV and a local radio station.
Central Elementary School
1510 Dinah Washington Avenue
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- AWARDED SCIENCE OF READING SPOTLIGHT SCHOOL
- $51,000 BOOK GRANT FOR THE LIBRARY
- RECEIVED $80,000 CHANCE GRANT
- RECEIVED $80,000 EESER FUNDS
- SCHOOLYARD ROOTS PARTNER SCHOOL