Arts in Education
The Tuscaloosa City Schools enjoys a rich tradition of providing instruction in the arts for all students attending any of our schools. Regardless of the social and economic circumstances of our time, the arts hold an essential place in the balanced education of our children. Through our diverse offerings in the arts, we are providing pathways for more children to realize their true passions, and contributing to a new generation of expressive, creative, and innovative thinkers from our own public school system.
For more information on the arts and their benefit to the development of young minds, visit www.broaderminded.com.
Pre-K Music Partnership
Pre-K classrooms across the system served with regular music instruction through a partnership with the University of Alabama School of Music.
K-5 Music & Visual Art
K-5 Music and Visual Art classes provided at every elementary school.
- Students receive weekly instruction from a certified specialist in art and music
- New for 2016 – 2017, students in grades 4-5 will receive weekly instruction in music and art from a certified specialist for 36 weeks. That’s music and art classes year-round!
6-12 Fine Arts
Students in grades 6 – 12 choose from fine arts electives in:
- Dance (High School and 6 – 8 The Alberta School of Performing Arts only)
- Piano (The Alberta School of Performing Arts only)
- Guitar (The Alberta School of Performing Arts only)
- String Orchestra
- Theatre Arts (High School, and 6 – 8 The Alberta School of Performing Arts only)
- Visual Arts
- Vocal Music
- Coming Soon: Paul W. Bryant HS Arts Academy (un-named, online for 2017-2018)
Special Education & Music Therapy
Music and movement therapy programs in special needs classrooms and Oak Hill School.