Alabama has established two areas of expectation related to Computer Science and Digital Literacy education.
1. The Alabama Computer Science legislation of 2019 requires the following:
A. All middle and high schools offer an in-person computer science course.
B. Beginning the fall of 2022, All elementary schools “shall offer instruction on the basics of computer science and computational thinking.”
2. The Alabama Course of Study for Digital Literacy and Computer Science (2018) establishes standards for all students, K-12. Aspects of these standards are also integrated in the state math, ELA, and science standards.
TCS is addressing Computer Science and Digital Literacy through our STEM with Arts Integration, TCS Graduate, and Digital Practice initiatives.
- TCS has a comprehensive Computer Science and Digital Literacy Plan, K-12
- TCS offers in-person CS courses at all middle and high schools.
TCS elementary schools are holding CS for All learning experiences throughout the school year.
Material Resources: K-8 Robotics Kits
In the spring of 2020, TCS launched The TCS Grad Codes initiative to support implementation of the ALCOS for Digital Literacy and Computer Science (DLCS). Using Title IV funds, TCS
- Purchased robotics and coding equipment for grades K-8. These were packaged as kits and were provided to all elementary and middle schools.
- Partnered with AMSTI to provide training for core teachers on the use of this equipment.
- Later, purchased additional kits and support materials such as clamps and charging stations.
- CS for Alabama - ALSDE CS Resources
- TCS provides Typing Club for PK-5 students.
All TCS schools have a Robotics team. Reach out to your school's Robotics Sponsor for additional details.
TCS schools participate in Shelton State Community College’s fall robotics competition, The University of Alabama’s spring robotics competition, and the Governor’s App Challenge.
Previous winners include:
- NHS 2023 SeaMate ROV Competition 1st Hydrohelix, 3rd Navigator, 3rd Ranger
- EMS 2023 Alabama Governor's App Challenge 3rd Place Middle
- WFES 2023 Alabama Governor's App Challenge 3rd Place Elementary
- BHS 2023 Regional UA Robotics Grand Winner
- BHS 2023 Regional UA Robotics 1st Place High School
- VES 2023 Regional UA Robotics 1st Place Elementary School
- EMS 2023 Regional UA Robotics 2nd Place Middle School
- TMSE 2023 Regional UA Robotics 2nd Place Elementary School
- NMS 2023 Regional UA Robotics 3rd Place Middle School
- EMS 2022 State Governor's App Challenge Qualifier
- WFES 2022 State Governor's App Challenge Qualifier
- TMSM 2022 Regional BEST Robotics Top-Ranked Middle School
- TMSM 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Game 3rd Place
- NMS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Website 3rd Place
- EMS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics T-Shirt 3rd Place
- NMS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Marketing 3rd Place
- NHS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Engineering Notebook 1st Place
- TCTA 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Engineering Notebook 3rd Place
- NMS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Robust Robot
- EMS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Creative Design
- NHS 2022 Shelton State BEST Robotics Team Video 2nd Place
- NMS 2021 Governor’s App Challenge 2nd Place
- WFES 2021 Governor’s App Challenge 1st Place
- NMS 2020 Governor’s App Challenge Finalist
- VES 2019 UA Robotics Competition 2nd Place
- NHS 2019 UA Robotics Competition 1st and 2nd Place