Earn College Credit In High School

What is Dual Enrollment?

  • Dual enrollment allows eligible high school students to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes.  Tuscaloosa City Schools offers dual enrollment opportunities through Auburn First, Shelton State Community College, Stillman College, and The University of Alabama Early College.  Some dual enrollment courses, known as dual credit courses, allow students to simultaneously earn college credit and high school credit.  TCS’s recognized dual credit courses are found on the TCS Dual Credit Crosswalk.



    • To be eligible for Academic and/or Career Technical Education Dual Enrollment, students must:

      • Meet entrance requirements of the college including high school GPA

        • Auburn First

          • 3.0 unweighted cumulative GPA

        • Shelton State Community College

          • 2.5 unweighted cumulative GPA for academic courses and HIT, NAS, RPT, MLT Career Technical Education courses

          • 2.0 unweighted cumulative GPA for other Career Technical Education courses

        • Stillman College

          • 2.0 unweighted cumulative GPA

        • The University of Alabama Early College

          • 3.0 unweighted cumulative GPA

      • Be in grade 10, 11, or 12

        • An exception may be granted upon the recommendation of the student’s principal and superintendent and in accordance with the Alabama Administrative Code 290-8-9.17 regarding gifted and talented students.


    Application Process

    All students who are interested in participating in a dual enrollment program should first register with TCS's dual enrollment portal called Pathways.


    Auburn First

    1. Submit the Auburn First Admission Application and pay the $50 application fee.

    2. Submit an official high school transcript and Letter of Support.

    3. Pay the $250 non-refundable deposit (applied to tuition).

    Shelton State Community College

    1. Submit the Shelton State Community College Admissions Application.

      1. Choose “Dual Enrollment” as the student type.

      2. Upload a copy of your primary identification before submitting the application.

    2. Submit the Dual Enrollment Approval Form.

      1. Upload a current high school transcript before submitting the approval form.

    Stillman College

    1. Submit the Stillman College Dual Enrollment Application.

      1. Upload a current high school transcript before submitting the application.

    The University of Alabama Early College

    1. Submit the UA Early College Online Application.

      1. Pay the $40 nonrefundable application fee.

    2. Submit the UA Early College Student Information Form.

    3. Ask your counselor to send your current high school transcript.

    Funding Opportunities and Scholarships

    ELEVATE Dual Enrollment Scholarship

    The ELEVATE Dual Enrollment Scholarship, made possible through the partnership between Tuscaloosa City Schools, the City of Tuscaloosa, and Mayor Walt Maddox, provides financial support for tuition, textbooks, and course materials/fees up to a total of twelve (12) college credit hours at The University of Alabama, Shelton State Community College, or Stillman College.

    To qualify, a student must:

    ●   Attend a TCS high school at least one year prior to taking courses as part of the ELEVATE Dual Enrollment Scholarship program; and

    ●   Live in the Tuscaloosa City Schools’ residential attendance zones (or be the dependent of a TCS employee); and

    ●   Be a member in good standing of grade 10, 11, or 12; and

    ●   Meet institutions’ minimum grade point average requirements.


    The ELEVATE Dual Enrollment Scholarship can also be used to fund CTE coursework not covered by Shelton State Community College’s Career Technical Education Scholarships (like Cosmetology and Barbering), non-credit bearing coursework, accelerated coursework at Shelton State Community College, and transportation for students who participate in registered apprenticeship programs.  


    Additionally, students who participate in the dual enrollment program at Shelton State Community College through the ELEVATE Dual Enrollment Scholarship can receive a matching scholarship (up to 9 credit hours) in the Summer and/or Fall semester following their high school graduation.

    Shelton State Community College

    Shelton State Community College offers Career Technical Education Scholarships, STEM Scholarships, and Foundation Scholarships.  Please see https://www.sheltonstate.edu/instruction-workforce-development/high-school-programs/dual-enrollment/dual-enrollment-tuition-scholarships/ for details.



    TCS Dual Enrollment Policies

    • Prior approval from the high school counselor or principal is required for dual enrollment participation.

    • All dual enrollment/dual credit courses must be approved by homeschool grade level counselors.

    • Students are allowed to take a maximum of two courses per semester during the high school academic year (Fall and Spring semesters).

    • Students must complete dual enrollment registration by the first day of the TCS semester (Fall and Spring semesters).  The regular schedule change window does not apply to dual enrollment coursework.

    • Three college credit hours must be used to substitute for one Carnegie unit in high school.

    • A student cannot drop or withdraw from a course without the approval of their school counselor or post-secondary coordinator.

    • Students must earn a final grade of 70 C or better in all attempted college courses to remain eligible for continued participation in a dual enrollment program.  

      • If a student drops, withdraws from, or fails to earn a final grade of 70 C or better in all attempted college courses, he/she will not be allowed to participate in dual enrollment the following semester.  The one-semester suspension from the dual enrollment program cannot be served during the Summer semester.

    • Only courses completed for dual credit will be added to the students’ high school transcripts.  TCS dual credit courses are found on the TCS Dual Credit Crosswalk.  Duplicate credit cannot be received for any equivalent high school courses successfully completed.

    For additional questions about Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit, contact Andrea Markham, Coordinator of Post-Secondary Engagement.